The Legal Counsel provides legal and compliance advisory services to enable effective management of legal and contractual risks. The role ensures that FSDU is effectively represented in all legal suits and matters; and that the FSDU complies with the laws and regulations of Uganda and the organization’s policies and procedures.
- Provide legal advice and clarity on compliance matters so as to ensure Board and FSDU pillar heads are kept appraised and are in position to address opportunities or mitigate risks that arise.
- Support the Board to function effectively in its oversight role and as the decision making body within FSDU.
- Oversee the logistical arrangements for Board meetings, ensuring that meetings are scheduled effectively and all documentation in place to ensure that FSDU’s litigation issues are effectively addressed and its interests are well protected.
- Ensure contracts, agreements and internal policies are in compliance with all statutory tax, legal or regulatory requirements and are designed to work for the overall benefit of the organization.
- Guide the FSDU team in developing and maintaining effective compliance programs and related activities, in order to prevent illegal, unethical or improper conduct.
- Identify legal performance gaps and develop and implement interventions to support bridge those gaps.
- Bachelors degree in Law or Juris Doctor
- Masters degree preferred
- At least 4 years’ experience in managerial position
- Diploma in Legal Practice (LDC) (at least 6 years post qualified)
Job related experience and knowledge:
- Excellent knowledge of best practice governance practices in Uganda
- Demonstrated experience in Board
- Experience in working in governance in private and non-governmental organizations
- Knowledge of Uganda regulatory and statutory environment
- Good knowledge and experience in business risk analysis and management
- Experience in drafting and effecting various contracts especially (but not limited to) purchase, employee
- Experience in working in private and non-governmental organizations
- Proficiency in Microsoft programs and report writing
How to Apply:
To apply, CLICK HERE and follow the instructions. Deadline for all submissions is 11:59 P.M. on 23rdFebruary 2018. Please note that only successful candidates will be contacted.